New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

David R Robison
I am having trouble saving a DB record with a Point type.

My Hibernate file defines the field as:

@Column(name = "the_geom")
@Type(type = "org.hibernatespatial.GeometryUserType")
public com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point getTheGeom() { return
this.theGeom; }
public void setTheGeom(com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point theGeom) {
this.theGeom = theGeom; }
private com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point theGeom;

I set the field as:

String point = "POINT (" +lon + " " + lat + ")";
com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Geometry theGeom = wktReader.read(point);
dbRecord.setTheGeom((com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point)theGeom);

And when I save the record I get the following error:

java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
org.hibernatespatial.GeometryUserType.nullSafeSet(Ljava/sql/PreparedStatement;Ljava/lang/Object;ILorg/hibernate/engine/spi/SessionImplementor;)V
      at org.hibernate.type.CustomType.nullSafeSet(CustomType.java:155)
      at
org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.dehydrate(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2593)
      at
org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.insert(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2846)
      at
org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.insert(AbstractEntityPersister.java:3290)
      at
org.hibernate.action.internal.EntityInsertAction.execute(EntityInsertAction.java:80)

Any ideas? David

--

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.

This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.

Re: New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

Hi David,

Most probable cause is that the hibernate spatial dialect provider isn't loaded from the classpath. E.g. for MySQL you would need  hibernate-spatial-mysql-1.1.1.jar on the classpath.

On 07 Feb 2012, at 17:50, David R Robison wrote:

> I am having trouble saving a DB record with a Point type.
>
> My Hibernate file defines the field as:
>
> @Column(name = "the_geom")
> @Type(type = "org.hibernatespatial.GeometryUserType")
> public com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point getTheGeom() { return
> this.theGeom; }
> public void setTheGeom(com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point theGeom) {
> this.theGeom = theGeom; }
> private com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point theGeom;
>
> I set the field as:
>
> String point = "POINT (" +lon + " " + lat + ")";
> com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Geometry theGeom = wktReader.read(point);
> dbRecord.setTheGeom((com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Point)theGeom);
>
> And when I save the record I get the following error:
>
> java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
> org.hibernatespatial.GeometryUserType.nullSafeSet(Ljava/sql/PreparedStatement;Ljava/lang/Object;ILorg/hibernate/engine/spi/SessionImplementor;)V
>      at org.hibernate.type.CustomType.nullSafeSet(CustomType.java:155)
>      at
> org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.dehydrate(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2593)
>      at
> org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.insert(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2846)
>      at
> org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.insert(AbstractEntityPersister.java:3290)
>      at
> org.hibernate.action.internal.EntityInsertAction.execute(EntityInsertAction.java:80)
>
> Any ideas? David
>
> --
>
> David R Robison
> Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
> 103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320
> phone: (757) 546-3401
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> web: http://openroadsconsulting.com
> blog: http://therobe.blogspot.com
> book: http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=9781597816526
>

> This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.

Re: New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

David R Robison
I verified that I am loading the provider. I was able to create a
PGGeometryUserType which is in the postgis provider. David

On 2/7/2012 11:56 AM, Karel Maesen wrote:

> [...]
>> If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320
phone: (757) 546-3401
e-mail: [hidden email]
web: http://openroadsconsulting.com
blog: http://therobe.blogspot.com
book: http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=9781597816526

This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.

Re: New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

What I find interesting is that the call to nullSafeSet has the
following signature

GeometryUserType.nullSafeSet(Ljava/sql/PreparedStatement;Ljava/lang/Object;ILorg/hibernate/engine/spi/SessionImplementor;)V

But the actual signature in the GeometryUserType.java file is

nullSafeSet(PreparedStatement arg0, Object arg1, int arg2)

It looks like the 3rd argument may be wrong. I am trying to run in JBoss
7.1 which uses Hibernate 4. Could this be an issue?
David

Yes, that's it. Check the section "Compatibility with Hibernate" at http://www.hibernatespatial.org/. Hibernate 4 will be supported by the next version.

Re: New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

David R Robison
Thanks. I've coppied the source into my project and I am trying to make
the changes to get it to work with Hibernate 4. I can write the
geometries to the database but when I go to read them I get:

  java.lang.ClassCastException: org.postgresql.util.PGobject cannot be
cast to org.postgresql.util.PGobject
      at
org.hibernatespatial.postgis.PGGeometryUserType.convert2JTS(PGGeometryUserType.java:147)
      at
org.hibernatespatial.AbstractDBGeometryType.nullSafeGet(AbstractDBGeometryType.java:143)

Any idea what the problem might be? It seems to say I cannot cast the
object to its own class. David

On 2/7/2012 3:22 PM, Karel Maesen wrote:

> On 07 Feb 2012, at 18:17, David R Robison wrote:
>> It looks like the 3rd argument may be wrong. I am trying to run in JBoss
>> 7.1 which uses Hibernate 4. Could this be an issue?
> Yes, that's it. Check the section "Compatibility with Hibernate" at http://www.hibernatespatial.org/. Hibernate 4 will be supported by the next version.
>
> Regards,
>
> Karel

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320
phone: (757) 546-3401
e-mail: [hidden email]
web: http://openroadsconsulting.com
blog: http://therobe.blogspot.com
book: http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=9781597816526

This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.

Re: New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

Maurizio Bonani
Same as mine, except for the fact that I cannot even write the geometries. I was looking forward to solve this problem for a few weeks. By now I'm using native queries to save and retrieve geometries, but I'm aware that it's not an elegant solution.

Maurizio

2012/2/7 David R Robison <[hidden email]>
Thanks. I've coppied the source into my project and I am trying to make
the changes to get it to work with Hibernate 4. I can write the
geometries to the database but when I go to read them I get:

 java.lang.ClassCastException: org.postgresql.util.PGobject cannot be
cast to org.postgresql.util.PGobject
     at
org.hibernatespatial.postgis.PGGeometryUserType.convert2JTS(PGGeometryUserType.java:147)
     at
org.hibernatespatial.AbstractDBGeometryType.nullSafeGet(AbstractDBGeometryType.java:143)

Any idea what the problem might be? It seems to say I cannot cast the
object to its own class. David

On 2/7/2012 3:22 PM, Karel Maesen wrote:
> On 07 Feb 2012, at 18:17, David R Robison wrote:
>> It looks like the 3rd argument may be wrong. I am trying to run in JBoss
>> 7.1 which uses Hibernate 4. Could this be an issue?
> Yes, that's it. Check the section "Compatibility with Hibernate" at http://www.hibernatespatial.org/. Hibernate 4 will be supported by the next version.
>
> Regards,
>
> Karel

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320
phone: <a href="tel:%28757%29%20546-3401" value="+17575463401">(757) 546-3401
e-mail: [hidden email]
web: http://openroadsconsulting.com
blog: http://therobe.blogspot.com
book: http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=9781597816526

This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.

Re: New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

The changes between H3 and H4 are quite substantial, so I don't think it will be easy (feasible) getting HS 1.1.x to work on H4.  You better start from the version on github (see my previous post).

I'll try to get a release candidate out this, or the next week for H4.

On 07 Feb 2012, at 23:56, David R Robison wrote:

> Thanks. I've coppied the source into my project and I am trying to make
> the changes to get it to work with Hibernate 4. I can write the
> geometries to the database but when I go to read them I get:
>
>  java.lang.ClassCastException: org.postgresql.util.PGobject cannot be
> cast to org.postgresql.util.PGobject
>      at
> org.hibernatespatial.postgis.PGGeometryUserType.convert2JTS(PGGeometryUserType.java:147)
>      at
> org.hibernatespatial.AbstractDBGeometryType.nullSafeGet(AbstractDBGeometryType.java:143)
>
> Any idea what the problem might be? It seems to say I cannot cast the
> object to its own class. David
>
> On 2/7/2012 3:22 PM, Karel Maesen wrote:
>> On 07 Feb 2012, at 18:17, David R Robison wrote:
>>> It looks like the 3rd argument may be wrong. I am trying to run in JBoss
>>> 7.1 which uses Hibernate 4. Could this be an issue?
>> Yes, that's it. Check the section "Compatibility with Hibernate" at http://www.hibernatespatial.org/. Hibernate 4 will be supported by the next version.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Karel

> David R Robison
> Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
> 103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320
> phone: (757) 546-3401
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> web: http://openroadsconsulting.com
> blog: http://therobe.blogspot.com
> book: http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=9781597816526
>

> This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.

Re: New to hibernate-spatial: trouble saving record

David R Robison
I was successful. There were only minor changes to hibernate-spatial to handle some package name changes and one change to the nullSafeSet and nullSafeGet. The trickier part was getting it to work in JBoss 7.1. David

On 2/8/2012 5:39 AM, Maurizio Bonani wrote:
Same as mine, except for the fact that I cannot even write the geometries. I was looking forward to solve this problem for a few weeks. By now I'm using native queries to save and retrieve geometries, but I'm aware that it's not an elegant solution.

Maurizio

2012/2/7 David R Robison <[hidden email]>
Thanks. I've coppied the source into my project and I am trying to make
the changes to get it to work with Hibernate 4. I can write the
geometries to the database but when I go to read them I get:

 java.lang.ClassCastException: org.postgresql.util.PGobject cannot be
cast to org.postgresql.util.PGobject
     at
org.hibernatespatial.postgis.PGGeometryUserType.convert2JTS(PGGeometryUserType.java:147)
     at
org.hibernatespatial.AbstractDBGeometryType.nullSafeGet(AbstractDBGeometryType.java:143)

Any idea what the problem might be? It seems to say I cannot cast the
object to its own class. David

On 2/7/2012 3:22 PM, Karel Maesen wrote:
> On 07 Feb 2012, at 18:17, David R Robison wrote:
>> It looks like the 3rd argument may be wrong. I am trying to run in JBoss
>> 7.1 which uses Hibernate 4. Could this be an issue?
> Yes, that's it. Check the section "Compatibility with Hibernate" at http://www.hibernatespatial.org/. Hibernate 4 will be supported by the next version.
>
> Regards,
>
> Karel

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320
phone: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28757%29%20546-3401" value="+17575463401">(757) 546-3401