Problem while Porting From MySQL to Oracle

Problem while Porting From MySQL to Oracle

Boni Gopalan (BioImagene)

Hello,

I am porting a program that works well with MySQL 5 to Oracle 10g.  The Data Creation Test Case when run exists with an error that says, ERROR org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter  ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes: expected MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY got BINARY.

The Oracle Table looks like this:

  CREATE TABLE "ABCD"."LMNOP"

   (           "LMNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0) NOT NULL ENABLE,

                "BOUND_RECTANGLE" SDO_GEOMETRY NOT NULL,

                "BOUNDARY_POINTS" SDO_GEOMETRY NOT NULL,

                "COUNT" NUMBER(10,0),

                "FMNNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0),

                "SLMNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0),

                "TICKETID" VARCHAR2(255 CHAR),

                "APRTST_RESULT_ID" NUMBER(10,0),

                 PRIMARY KEY ("LMNOP_ID"),

                 CONSTRAINT "FK79838290BAE90151" FOREIGN KEY ("LMNOP_RESULT_ID")

                  REFERENCES "ABCD"."XYZRESULT" ("LMNOPID") ENABLE

   );

I am using CONNECTION-FINDER = org.hibernatespatial.oracle.DefaultConnectionFinder, However I do not see while debugging  the program reaching this class.  The Exception comes the moment save() is called on the JPA entity.  The DataSourceInjected is through Spring dependency injection as a , org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSource.

I am on hibernate-spatial 1.0 (not possible to upgrade now).  What will be a good class to put a debug on to understand what is going on?

Thanks

boni

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5884 (20110217) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem while Porting From MySQL to Oracle

Could you send the stack trace? At first sight it looks like you have both the HS provider jar for Mysql and for Oracle enabled.  If so, just remove the MySQL provider.

You should enable logging (HS uses the same logging as Hibernate). An info message is written on configuration. You should then check if the provider for Oracle is used.

On 18 Feb 2011, at 07:43, Boni Gopalan (BioImagene) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am porting a program that works well with MySQL 5 to Oracle 10g.  The Data Creation Test Case when run exists with an error that says, ERROR org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter  ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes: expected MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY got BINARY.
>
> The Oracle Table looks like this:
>
>   CREATE TABLE "ABCD"."LMNOP"
>    (           "LMNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0) NOT NULL ENABLE,
>                 "BOUND_RECTANGLE" SDO_GEOMETRY NOT NULL,
>                 "BOUNDARY_POINTS" SDO_GEOMETRY NOT NULL,
>                 "COUNT" NUMBER(10,0),
>                 "FMNNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0),
>                 "SLMNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0),
>                 "TICKETID" VARCHAR2(255 CHAR),
>                 "APRTST_RESULT_ID" NUMBER(10,0),
>                  PRIMARY KEY ("LMNOP_ID"),
>                  CONSTRAINT "FK79838290BAE90151" FOREIGN KEY ("LMNOP_RESULT_ID")
>                   REFERENCES "ABCD"."XYZRESULT" ("LMNOPID") ENABLE
>    );
>
> I am using CONNECTION-FINDER = org.hibernatespatial.oracle.DefaultConnectionFinder, However I do not see while debugging  the program reaching this class.  The Exception comes the moment save() is called on the JPA entity.  The DataSourceInjected is through Spring dependency injection as a , org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSource.
>
> I am on hibernate-spatial 1.0 (not possible to upgrade now).  What will be a good class to put a debug on to understand what is going on?
>
> Thanks
> boni
>

> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5884 (20110217) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem while Porting From MySQL toOracle

Boni Gopalan (BioImagene)
Karel,

The issue indeed was with the wrong dialect.  I corrected the
configurations and issues got resolved.  However further down the road I
hit a portability roadblock that is definitely going to put me in a bad
light since I chose hibernate-spatial emphasizing on portability.  Issue
was with 'WITHIN' queries.  The translation of 'WITHIN' queries fetched
'OGC_WITHIN' (irrespective of what I specified for the STRICT mode).
The parameters passed into the OGC_WITHIN was the wrong type.  Finally I
had to do the following change in my queries to get it working.

and within(center,:key) = true

Changed TO

and
within(MDSYS.ST_GEOMETRY.FROM_SDO_GEOM(center),MDSYS.ST_GEOMETRY.FROM_SD
O_GEOM(:key)) = 1

center --> is a Geometry field
:key gets replaced with a POLYGON constructed through WKTReader

I am on 1.0 Version.  Was there anything wrong I was doing?  The old
query worked perfectly fine with MySQL.  I still have a slight bit of
grace left since I am using spring for dependency injection so I can
getaway with writing an Oracle Specific DaoImpl.  However, as I said
before it defeats the whole purpose :(

Thanks
Boni

Could you send the stack trace? At first sight it looks like you have
both the HS provider jar for Mysql and for Oracle enabled.  If so, just
remove the MySQL provider.

You should enable logging (HS uses the same logging as Hibernate). An
info message is written on configuration. You should then check if the
provider for Oracle is used.

On 18 Feb 2011, at 07:43, Boni Gopalan (BioImagene) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am porting a program that works well with MySQL 5 to Oracle 10g.
The Data Creation Test Case when run exists with an error that says,
ERROR org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter  ORA-00932: inconsistent
datatypes: expected MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY got BINARY.

> The Oracle Table looks like this:
>
>   CREATE TABLE "ABCD"."LMNOP"
>    (           "LMNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0) NOT NULL ENABLE,
>                 "BOUND_RECTANGLE" SDO_GEOMETRY NOT NULL,
>                 "BOUNDARY_POINTS" SDO_GEOMETRY NOT NULL,
>                 "COUNT" NUMBER(10,0),
>                 "FMNNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0),
>                 "SLMNOP_ID" NUMBER(10,0),
>                 "TICKETID" VARCHAR2(255 CHAR),
>                 "APRTST_RESULT_ID" NUMBER(10,0),
>                  PRIMARY KEY ("LMNOP_ID"),
>                  CONSTRAINT "FK79838290BAE90151" FOREIGN KEY
("LMNOP_RESULT_ID")
>                   REFERENCES "ABCD"."XYZRESULT" ("LMNOPID") ENABLE
>    );
>
> I am using CONNECTION-FINDER =
org.hibernatespatial.oracle.DefaultConnectionFinder, However I do not
see while debugging  the program reaching this class.  The Exception
comes the moment save() is called on the JPA entity.  The
DataSourceInjected is through Spring dependency injection as a ,
org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSource.

> I am on hibernate-spatial 1.0 (not possible to upgrade now).  What
will be a good class to put a debug on to understand what is going on?

> Thanks
> boni

signature database 5884 (20110217) __________

> http://www.eset.com
l-users

signature database 5885 (20110218) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 5885 (20110218) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem while Porting From MySQL toOracle

I checked my integration tests for Oracle on version 1.0. In my tests, the correct SQL is generated for the "within" function, in both OGC_STRICT and non OGC_STRICT modes. Furthermore, inspecting the code I can't figure out how what you report is even possible.

Could you reproduce the error with Hibernate sql_logging enabled, and your logging framework set to DEBUG. The stacktrace and the log file would help understanding what is going on.

On 19 Feb 2011, at 07:45, Boni Gopalan (BioImagene) wrote:

> Karel,
>
> The issue indeed was with the wrong dialect.  I corrected the
> configurations and issues got resolved.  However further down the road I
> hit a portability roadblock that is definitely going to put me in a bad
> light since I chose hibernate-spatial emphasizing on portability.  Issue
> was with 'WITHIN' queries.  The translation of 'WITHIN' queries fetched
> 'OGC_WITHIN' (irrespective of what I specified for the STRICT mode).
> The parameters passed into the OGC_WITHIN was the wrong type.  Finally I
> had to do the following change in my queries to get it working.
>
> and within(center,:key) = true
>
> Changed TO
>
> and
> within(MDSYS.ST_GEOMETRY.FROM_SDO_GEOM(center),MDSYS.ST_GEOMETRY.FROM_SD
> O_GEOM(:key)) = 1
>
> center --> is a Geometry field
> :key gets replaced with a POLYGON constructed through WKTReader
>
> I am on 1.0 Version.  Was there anything wrong I was doing?  The old
> query worked perfectly fine with MySQL.  I still have a slight bit of
> grace left since I am using spring for dependency injection so I can
> getaway with writing an Oracle Specific DaoImpl.  However, as I said
> before it defeats the whole purpose :(
>
> Thanks
> Boni

Hello Karel

May be I am doing something different.  Please check the sample code
attached.  It is a rarred maven build eclipse project.  There are three
profiles, mysql, oracle and oracle.unportable.  src/sql has DDLs for
mysql and oracle.  I am using maven-properties plugin to load
appropriate database properties depending on the profile enabled.

-Poracle.unportable , will inject a DaoImpl (TileDaoEjb3OracleImpl)
written correctly such that Oracle allows proper data fetching.
-Pmysql and -Poracle runs against the same DaoImpl (TileDaoEjb3Impl),
and it FAILS for -Poracle.

Hope this helps to convey the problem correctly.

Alternatively you can checkout the source from,

svn co https://whiteboardjunkie.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/spatial-compare
spatial-compare

Thanks
boni

I checked my integration tests for Oracle on version 1.0. In my tests,
the correct SQL is generated for the "within" function, in both
OGC_STRICT and non OGC_STRICT modes. Furthermore, inspecting the code I
can't figure out how what you report is even possible.

Could you reproduce the error with Hibernate sql_logging enabled, and
your logging framework set to DEBUG. The stacktrace and the log file
would help understanding what is going on.

On 19 Feb 2011, at 07:45, Boni Gopalan (BioImagene) wrote:

> Karel,
>
> The issue indeed was with the wrong dialect.  I corrected the
> configurations and issues got resolved.  However further down the road
> hit a portability roadblock that is definitely going to put me in a
bad
> light since I chose hibernate-spatial emphasizing on portability.
Issue
> was with 'WITHIN' queries.  The translation of 'WITHIN' queries
fetched
> 'OGC_WITHIN' (irrespective of what I specified for the STRICT mode).
> The parameters passed into the OGC_WITHIN was the wrong type.  Finally
> had to do the following change in my queries to get it working.
>
> and within(center,:key) = true
>
> Changed TO
>
> and

within(MDSYS.ST_GEOMETRY.FROM_SDO_GEOM(center),MDSYS.ST_GEOMETRY.FROM_SD

> O_GEOM(:key)) = 1
>
> center --> is a Geometry field
> :key gets replaced with a POLYGON constructed through WKTReader
>
> I am on 1.0 Version.  Was there anything wrong I was doing?  The old
> query worked perfectly fine with MySQL.  I still have a slight bit of
> grace left since I am using spring for dependency injection so I can
> getaway with writing an Oracle Specific DaoImpl.  However, as I said
> before it defeats the whole purpose :(
>
> Thanks
> Boni

spatial-compare.rar (74K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem while Porting From MySQLtoOracle

Hi Boni,

I located the error. Your code never made use of Hibernate Spatial HQL functions, because you don't use a Hibernate Spatial dialect!  That it works with MySQL is due to the fact that the it has a function called WITHIN that responds as expected. The WITHIN-function in Oracle is apparently an alias for OGC_WITHIN which explains the behaviour that you see. (What you did use of Hibernate Spatial is the GeometryUserType, which works correctly).

If you use the JpaHibernateVendorAdapter, you specify the database and (if I understand correctly) Spring choses the dialect for you. In the case of Oracle it chooses the Oracle9Dialect. So the Oracle10gSpatialDialect is not used when translating the HQL to SQL. I suggest you find another way to configure JPA/Hibernate in Spring so that you can specify the Hibernate dialect you wish to use.

Hope this helps.

On 21 Feb 2011, at 04:06, Boni Gopalan (BioImagene) wrote:

> Hello Karel
>
> May be I am doing something different.  Please check the sample code
> attached.  It is a rarred maven build eclipse project.  There are three
> profiles, mysql, oracle and oracle.unportable.  src/sql has DDLs for
> mysql and oracle.  I am using maven-properties plugin to load
> appropriate database properties depending on the profile enabled.
>
> -Poracle.unportable , will inject a DaoImpl (TileDaoEjb3OracleImpl)
> written correctly such that Oracle allows proper data fetching.
> -Pmysql and -Poracle runs against the same DaoImpl (TileDaoEjb3Impl),
> and it FAILS for -Poracle.
>
> Hope this helps to convey the problem correctly.
>
> Alternatively you can checkout the source from,
>
> svn co https://whiteboardjunkie.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/spatial-compare
> spatial-compare
>

> Thanks
> boni

Wow! Thank you very much for pointing me at this mistake.  I will check
the JpaVendorAdapter code to find a solution to injecting appropriate
dialect.

signature database 5892 (20110221) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 5892 (20110221) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem while Porting From MySQLtoOracle

Boni Gopalan (BioImagene)
Karel,

Thank you very much for pointing out the mistake.  I ass-u-me-d that the
dialect specified in META-INF/persistence.xml is used by spring/
HibernateJpaVendorAdapter.  Apparently it is Not!  I will file a JIRA
issue for spring on this.  But coming back to hibernate-spatial, once
the mistake became obvious the solution also seemed straight forward.
All I had to do was to write a custom JpaVendoradapter extending
HibernateJpaVendorAdapter overriding the dialect lookup method.  There
is a small challenge there since both spatial dialect jars cannot be on
the CLASSPATH at the same time.  So I am using reflection to return
appropriate Dialect class.  Please check
HibernateSpatialJpaVendorAdapter in the example code base.

https://whiteboardjunkie.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/spatial-compare

With this class being used as the jpaVendorAdapter, the code is portable
(-Pmysql and -Poracle passes the test case).  Thank you very much